Effective communication & conflict resolution
The Conflict Resolution training session is addressed to participants who work in environment generating significant emotional tension and large amount of stress situations which need to be handled by the employees.
In many cases, stress which the participants face is a consequence of tensions in relationships with clients and colleagues. Employees need to be able to deal with this tension and at the same time they need to maintain good relationships and achieve their business goals.
The most common cause of many conflicts in a situation of tension are imperfections in the communication. Its improvement lower the probability of conflict and when it already exists can reduce its negative effects and support the search for a solution.
In response to these needs we propose the training program to enhance the participants’ ability to manage emotions effectively when facing difficult situation in relationship and constructively resolve conflict situations.
The aim of the programme is to provide the participants with relevant knowledge and skills to constructive conflict resolution, allowing them to confidently deal with difficult situations and build good relationships when working with clients and colleagues.
After the completion of the course the participant will:
- Increase awareness of possible strategies for resolving disputes and conflict;
- Increase knowledge about the types of conflicts and relevant practices to deal with them;
- Increase ability to communicate in a way that builds common ground and motivates search for solutions;
- Increase knowledge of the communication tools (perception of needs, reflecting, showing understanding, asking questions) and develop skills of applying them
- Deepen awareness of the emotional impact on conversation and increase the skills of managing emotions constructively;
- Increase the flexibility in conflict situations
- Develop attitude focusing on solutions in conflict situations
- Deepen awareness of the consequences of different ways of solving the conflict situation under interdependence and cooperation conditions;
Increase the ability to conduct so-called ‘difficult conversations’.
Having completed the course the participants will:
- be able to identify their own needs and the needs of the other side in the disputable situation
- be able to create the conditions to search for the optimal solution
- have the several communication tools to deal with in conflict situations
- know some schemes of conducting difficult conversations
- know the ways of dealing with situations that raised the emotional temperature of the conversation
- be aware of the causes of conflicts and ways of solving them
Methods of work
For the purposes of training, the participants will be given an opportunity to experience conflict discussions in the form of games and exercises partially detached from the realities of their work. In the following simulations, the participants, already equipped with the necessary skills, will be able to try them out in situations that they consider to be a challenge at work.
Additionally, participants will be encouraged to find out what works for them during the conflict situation: they will examine, assess and experiment with different methods and techniques.
- The functions of conflict and types of conflict
- Introduction, program outline
- Setting learning outcomes
- The functions of conflict and the role of communication in emerging conflicts
- Types of conflicts causes – Circle of Conflict by Ch. Moore
- Scenarios and consequences of the conflict
- Possible scenarios of spontaneously unfolding conflict: identify opportunities and threats
- The role of communication errors in the emergence of conflicts
- Different styles of coping with conflict – analysis of the strategies used by participants and their implications for professional goals and team spirit
- Types of conflict and adequate ways of resolving it
- Perceptions of conflict situations – how to take advantage of opportunities in the conflict?
- Recognizing the needs of the interlocutor (NVC) in perceiving and resolving conflict situations
- Team game – conflict resolution
- Strategies for reaching the agreement, depending on the causes of conflict
- Conflict resolution in relationship and managing the emotions
- Dynamics of conflict and its phases;
- “How to exacerbate conflict” – generating a list of behaviors and words that hinder agreement
- Awareness of one’s emotional reactions in disputes. Application of communication tools to support keeping the optimal distance needed to find solution.
- How can we talk about emotions directly, to build consensus –
the I- Statement
- What to do if the other party responds emotionally?
- Communicate difficult messages
- Communication in the difficult situation
- How to deliver difficult messages?
- Communication tools
- How to support common ground and solution focused approach
- Review and practice of communication tools and habits supporting searching for agreement and common ground (eg. presenting one’s own perspective, avoiding generalizations, distinguishing fact from interpretation and emotion, acceptance of disagreement, the search for common values)
- Review and practice of communication tools and habits supporting future focuses approach and solution focused approach (eg. positive reframing, disclosure of values and interests, scaling, moving attention to the area of influence)
- Resolving conflict situation
- Myself in conflict situation – the personal resources and areas for development.
- Challenges and difficulties in conflict situation – how to react
- with solution focused approach.
- Difficult conversation simulation in case of conflict in a team – Roleplay based on/relevant to main challenges of participants work.
- Summary of the training content
- Individual implementation plan
The program includes:
- training program design and its modifications based on analysis of development needs,
- delivery of the training by the trainer,
- learning materials,
- certificates of completion,
- a report summarizing results of the evaluation and comments of the trainer,
- conference room and coffee breaks during training sessions if the training program is organised in seat of Wszechnica UJ,
- individual consultations over the phone with the trainer up to 2 weeks after the training (max. 30 min./participant).